Thursday, 4 March 2010

Unexpected application of the Demartini Method

One of the things I did on the road to recovery from my illness was to take singing lessons.

The thought/science behind it was that illnesses that are linked with stress/adrenal burnout/HPA ( Hypothalamus-Pituitary-Axis) disorders often have as a sideline symptom shallow breathing. I tried to address this with various different methods all of which are very useful. Meditation, pranayam breathing, visualizations, tapes etc ... but finally found that those didn't seem to work as they were just not quite aligned with my values. So I dug around in my head and it finally jumped out at me: well... erm... (embarrassed look) ... blush.... I always wanted to sing. There I have admitted it ..... I am one of those in the shower singing people.

As with most things in life I immediately applied my 'jump-right-in-because-if-you-think-about- it-too- much-you'll-back-out approach. Singing lessons - boy was I nervous:( The teacher was amazing. She told me that everyone has a voice and anyone can sing.... and surprise surprise... you can learn it. And off I set on a vocal (and deeply diaphragmatic) journey of discovery.

Somewhere on this healing timeline, I discovered the Demartini Method and of course huge changes occurred from there on. Shifts, flips, 180's, turnovers, turnarounds ..... basically pure paradigm acrobatics. Sometimes when you are in the throws of changes, you yourself don't actually know the subtle differences manifesting and thus I am so grateful when the universe gives me a little heads up on the transformation taking place. Such a little heads-up occurred yesterday when after a very long time I saw my singing teacher again. Just as a warmup/re-connect we dug out pieces that I had been working on many moons ago. Up came Eva Cassidy's "fields of gold" which had always been a very important song in my life. My grandmother died when I was a teenager and I was only told a year later as my parents were on non speaking terms due to a difficult divorce. I was so shocked by the fact that no-one had told me and that I had for so many years been kept from the person I loved more than anything on this earth. This song flowed from my vocals laced with all the tears heartache and pain of that time. Very intense, very moving .... BUT ... also a bit crap. I could never finish the song, without crying; never hold the notes and the emotions made my voice shake .... and my voice often got small when the feelings tied around my throat like tourniquet.

About 6 months ago I did alot of Demartini work ( thanks Lisa:) around my grandmother/not being told and of course seeing where the energy is today and I am still amazed that all the pain and grief that I had carried around for so long has simply vanished. In its place is knowing that she is with me, feeling the support,love, affection she represented to me in a multitude of ways every single day. As I picked up the song sheet something already felt different. I tried to distract myself and not tune in as I didn't want to make a fool of myself on the first song..... don't think, just sing.

I take a breath ...... and start ..... "you'll remember me ....." and instead of daggers of pain ripping open my heart I started to see a hand reaching out to me ..... "so she took her love for to gaze a while" the hand became an arm ......"will you stay with me, will you be my love" ..... a shoulder, her neck.......her smile.... "we will walk in fields of gold" .... her beautiful eyes smiling right at me like she had always done. There was no pain, just love. There was no longing, just knowing. Pure love, divine presence....just her, just me, just us.

I only broke down in tears at the end and had to sit down. As my teacher asked me if I was ok, I looked up at her, smiling from ear to ear.... and tears of pure joy streaming down my cheeks....... I managed to choke out "never been better". She said to me through my tears :" I don't know what you have been doing but it was all there...... the breath, the pitch and range. beautifully done!wow!"

Demartini Method use number:1002 - improve your singing, do a collapse:):):)


1 comment: